Thursday, September 11, 2008

Some thoughts on Nietzsche and Looking Forward to Freud

I know we are pretty much done with the Nietzsche, but I just wanted to share some final thoughts on it.

Nietzsche says "every concept originates through our equating what is unequal." For me, the small differences between each and every single "leaf" are present, but unimportant as it pertains to how we use them. Eskimos have however many different words for snow because these differences are essential to how the Eskimos use the snow. The differences among these "leaves" or any other objects which we have forgotten the individual differences of are not integral to the functioning of our society. We categorize these individual experiences into more general concepts (language) which allow us to identify and convey to others our needs. We do not need to distinguish among all these individual differences because our generalizations allow us to function in our society.

Maybe not thoughts. Just a thought.=)

One thing that immediately jumped out to me in the Freud reading occurs on page 30 in the last paragraph. "There is no need for me to quote any instances." I was taken aback when I read this and it prompted me to ask why Freud had done this. Was the previous statement so obvious that examples were unnecessary? Did the premises of his argument lead to this conclusion? Or had Freud simply become overly confident in his idea?

Until tommorow.

3 comments:

Kevin Yao said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kevin Yao said...

I also found it strange to see Freud leaving out "instances" to quote. However, after reading the last sentence of the first paragraph of that page again ("We are all of us familiar with such structures from our own dreams"), I understood his tone better. Correct me on this if I'm incorrect, but perhaps Freud is trying to suggest that since we are already familiar with the composite structures, he does not need to elaborate on it.

gina.m said...

(On Nietzsche) Pragmatically speaking, you're completely right. And I agree in that our use of language is based on what will get us what we want. I think though, that it's still important that we recognize what Nietzsche is saying and that his point is legitimate. Language, words, and truth and lies are all completely arbitrary. It is only once we understand that foundation that we can take that pragmatic outlook. We now understand that we are just using jumbles of sounds, categorizing as works best for us, and using it as it is advantageous in our society.

It's quite possible that none of that was coherent... I tend to be redundant and just confusing in my writing.