Tuesday, September 9, 2008

After reading the 2nd part of the text, I decided to throw in my two cents.
Nietzsche seems to play around with several perspectives and “truths”– including the scientific, the rational, and the aesthetic. And what I found particularly interesting in the reading is Nietzsche’s passion for and glorification of the Greeks and their aesthetic way of life.

I’m not too confident in my understanding but here is my general interpretation: Nietzsche believes that the rational man experiences constant misfortune due to his intellect and his needs. The Greeks, too, experience misfortune, but unlike the rational man, the Greeks, Nietzsche believed, accepted life with all its suffering and deception (albeit unknowingly); and in doing so, they became “overjoyed heroes,” an aesthetic existence.

Here, I think it is important to note how Nietzsche’s writing intensifies: how he uses exclamation marks, italics, and how he repeatedly uses the word he, as if deifying. To me, Nietzsche seems to have a more personal tone at the end; he emotes his longing for something he may believe is no longer attainable.

With that said, I don’t believe Nietzsche dislikes the human race, but rather the current state of humanity– how we are thrown about by nature, by intellect, by indigence. I think Nietzsche sees how out of touch humankind is to that aesthetic perspective, that intuition the Greeks had. And consequently, Nietzsche may be expressing his frustration ( as Zachary previously noted ) in a way which may seem to us cynical or mocking. Just a thought.

-Bryan H

No comments: