Sunday, September 14, 2008

On Dreams

So I haven't finished the reading that was assigned for Tuesday, but I'm a little confused on one sentence. "We may put it in this way: in the course of the dream work the psychical intensity passes over from the thoughts and ideas to which it properly belongs on to others which in out judgment have no claim to any such emphasis." page 34 at the top.

Freud goes on to say dream displacement is what causes us to not fully understand dreams. Seems to me like he is saying dream displacement is essentially the symbolism in dreams. Something like substituting what we see in a dream for a possibly hidden meaning?

I'm not sure if I'm totally right on this, and still not really sure exactly what he means by that sentence, but he goes on to say that it is what makes dreams hard to figure out, so it seems important.

-Kyle Meshna

No comments: